Tooth Colored Filling Materials
Teeth cavities and discolorations can ruin ones smile since they are visible as soon as people open their mouth for speaking or smiling. If you happen to be one of them then there is no to worry because you can easily get your charming smile back with the help of tooth colored filling materials
What Are Tooth Colored Filling Materials?
Tooth colored fillings, also known as the dental composites are dental restorative materials that are specifically designed to match the color and shade of the natural teeth. In contrast to the amalgam fillings that are disliked by many patients due to their metallic appearance the tooth colored fillings, the dental composites are available in several different shades and colors, so that shade of the filling can be exactly matched with the natural teeth.
What Are Tooth Colored Fillings Used for?
- Restoration of Teeth Cavities – gone are the days when silver amalgam was used as the standard material for the restoration of carious teeth. Now, highly esthetic and easy to use dental composites are considered as the gold standard for restoration of carious teeth.
- Closing Excessive Gap Between Teeth – excessive gap between teeth, scientifically known as a diastema can ruin your smile as well as your personality. Dental composites are used to reshape the adjacent teeth in such a way that the gap between them is eliminated and the facial esthetics are restored.
- Veneers – a veneer is a thin shell like material that is placed over the front surface of prepared teeth, so as to eliminate their esthetic defects, such as permanent discolorations and cavities. Highly esthetic veneers can be made from dental composites to improve facial esthetics and smile of patients who have tooth discolorations.
What Are the Advantages over Amalgam Fillings?
Wondering why you should prefer the tooth colored fillings over amalgam fillings. Here’s why:
- Superior Esthetics – due to their ability to exactly match the shade of the natural teeth, the dental composites provides excellent esthetics in comparison to the conventionally used silver amalgam fillings. By getting your teeth cavities restored with the tooth colored fillings, you can now smile again with confidence, without having to worry about showing your crooked teeth or metallic fillings.
- Tooth Conservation – placement of amalgam fillings requires sacrificing considerable amounts of the healthy natural tooth structure. On the other hand, the dental composites require minimal tooth preparation and therefore maximally conserve the natural tooth structure.
- Safety – compared with the amalgam fillings which have been shown to be harmful to the human body in various ways, the dental composites are much safer to be used for long term purposes inside the oral cavity.
- Reparability – unlike the amalgam fillings which need to be replaced in case they get chipped off or fractured, the composite fillings can be easily repaired at any time.
How Are Tooth Colored Fillings Placed?
The placement of tooth colored filling materials involves multiple steps:
- Application of Etchant – for the dental composites to adhere to the tooth, the surface of the tooth that needs to be restored must be demineralized. This is carried out by applying a gel containing 37% phosphoric acid onto the tooth’s surface for 30 seconds. Afterwards, the etchant is washed away with water.
- Application of Bonding Agent – after completely drying the tooth’s surface, a thin layer of bonding agent is applied over the surface of the tooth. This bonding agent helps in forming a chemical bond with the composite fillings.
- Application of the Composite Filling – next, the filling material is applied in thin layers over the tooth. Polymerization of the composite fillings is carried out by exposing them to a visible light source, such as an LED light. Afterwards, another layer of the composite is applied over the tooth and subsequently polymerized.
- Polishing – after the filling has been placed, the patient is sent home and asked to visit after 24 hours for polishing. A polished surface of the composite filling not only improves facial esthetics, but also prevents the adhesion of various harmful bacteria on them.
If you want to appear beautiful and charming again by getting rid of your teeth discolorations and cavities, then you should get them restored with the tooth colored composite fillings. Visit your dentist today to make your dream of looking beautiful come true!